Friday, March 12, 2010

Birthday Present Time



I believe that hand-made gifts should be given for every possible occasion, including birthdays.

And I've been hard at work on a few upcoming gifts for some very special people.



Kids LOVE these superhero capes, I should know, all of my kids have begged me for them--including my 14 and 17 year-olds!





I created a very simple pattern for a cape out of poster board. After making a couple of measurements on my kids to get an approximate size, I folded the poster board in half and cut it out so it would be symmetrical on both sides. Then I cut out the fabric and embellished it with ribbon and felt pieces cut out using patterns printed off the internet.



The sky is the limit here. This is also the most fun part! Then I sewed velcro to each side of the cape, making sure they were on opposite sides so that they would velcro together once the entire thing was sewn together.




After embellishing, I pinned the right sides together and stitched around the entire cape leaving an 8 inch gap to turn.




I turned, ironed and stitched around the entire thing again.







The little girl that got this cape wore it throughout her entire party! That was the best compliment I could have ever gotten. Enjoy your cape little Super Girl!
If you have a special little someone that would like a special little cape, just let me know and I'll see what I can do for you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow...you are amazing. Such cute capes. I just wish I had somewhat of talents that you hold...LOL They look great!